The United States Department of Veterans Affairs provides education benefits to eligible veterans.† Hartford Seminary is proud to partner with the armed forces and offer tuition assistance to qualified veterans, their dependents, and active duty and reserve military so they are able to reach their educational goals.
Hartford Seminary is approved by the Connecticut State approving Agency and the Connecticut State Department of Higher Education to offer VA approved education programs.† Eligible programs of study are:
- Master of Arts Program
- Islamic Chaplaincy Program
- Doctor of Ministry Program
Depending on the type of service or chapter, there are specific requirements and forms that must be submitted in order to start receiving benefits for the following entitlement programs.† If you donít know what chapter you are claiming, please contact the Department of Veteran Affairs @ 888-442-4551 or visit the web address @ http://benefits.va.gov/gbill to apply on line.† Only VA representatives can answer specific questions about your GI Bill account.
- Chapter 30†††††† Montgomery GI Bill Ė Active Duty
- Chapter 31†††††† Vocational Rehabilitation
- Chapter 33†††††† Post 9/11 New GI Bill
- Chapter 35†††††† Survivors and Dependent Benefits
- Chapter 1606† Montgomery GI Bill- Reserve Natíl Guard
- Chapter 1607† Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP)
Hartford Seminary participates in the Yellow Ribbon GI Educational Program, a provision of the Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 and also supplements any additional tuition not covered by Post 9/11.
- Tuition and fees are paid directly to the school.
- Monthly housing allowances are provided for all courses and paid directly to the student at the beginning of each month for the previous month.††† If a student attends at a rate less than full time, he/she will receive a smaller monthly amount.† Please visit the website http://benefits.va.gov/gbill to review all current pay rates.
- Annual books/supplies stipend for a maximum of $1,000 is paid based on enrollment status.
All veterans must comply with Hartford Seminaryís Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy which can be found in the financial aid section of the school catalogue. Any changes in enrollment must be reported to VA School Certifying Official in the Financial Aid Office by calling 860-509-9545 or submitting an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hartford Seminary realizes that transitioning from active duty can be challenging, so veterans are provided personalized attention.† We are dedicated to providing the tools and resources that are needed to succeed in the classroom.
Career Services/Placement-Even though the Seminary does not provide formal career services or placement office, students are instructed to discuss their career and / or vocational goals with their faculty advisor.† Churches and other potential employers often wish to communicate with the Seminary community.† Postings for jobs may be found on the bulletin boards in the stairwell at 77 Sherman Street and also listed in the Seminary e-newsletter, The Exchange.† Our ultimate goal is for students to attain employment and become the best candidate possible.
60% of the veterans who enrolled at Hartford Seminary have graduated or are actively attending.
For additional guidance, students are referred to the VAís Career Counseling website @ www.benefits.VA.gov/VOCREHAB/edu.
Academic Services-Hartford Seminary offers students the services of a writing consultant.† Consultants are available and appointments can be made by telephone or email.† Students are also assigned a faculty advisor upon acceptance into the program. Go to www.hartsem.edu/current-students/policies.
FA Shopping Sheet– This is a consumer tool that is designed to simplify information that prospective students receive about costs and financial aid so that they can make informed decisions about which institution to attend. It must be provided to veterans who applied for Title IV FAFSA effective 2014-2015 award years.† The form can be viewed @ http://collegecost.ed.gov/shopping_sheet.pdf.